Dreher Slim Ellipse Sweep Oar:
- Two levels of Stiffness: Less-Stiff (5.5 cm deflection) and Standard Stiffness (4 cm deflection).
- One grip types: Row-Wik over Carbon
- One grip Colors: Black Row-Wik with outboard slightly textured carbon over Carbon
- Oar Length / Inboard (+/- cm): 371/114, 374/114 or Call
- Tool Free Adjustment Type (TFA): Premium Sleeve/Collar Material (Carbon / Nylon)
- Blade Type: Apex-E
- Length Adjustment: Tool Free Onboard Wrench or a 10 mm wrench.
The shaft starts as a circular sculling shaft size for about the first 1/3 and then transits to a slim ellipse through the remainder of the shaft. The blade shape selected is the popular Apex but modified to fit on an elliptical shaft (Apex-E). The sleeve/collar assembly travels on a segmented screw, moving 1 cm for every 360 degrees rotation.
High modulus carbon is used to achieve the same levels of stiffness as the classic larger dimension sweep oars. This material results in a lighter overall sweep oar (with standard stiffness shaft the weight savings just under 1 pound per oar). The superior aerodynamics of the elliptical sweep shaft and streamlined blade and blade shaft interface provides superior performance especially the faster the boat and the greater the headwind.